Sunday, November 17, 2013

Easy steps to build a DIY Home Theater Projector Screen



Materials:

Project details:

The video shows how I made my 132” (114x66)  projector screen for less than $80 (assuming you have all the tools) in just a few hours. Once you have all the materials, it’s quite simple and easy to get it done.

I have an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3010 projector which is set up on a 21’ x 13’ basement. The wall used to be our screen but I decided to get a real one. As I wanted something cheaper and fun to do, I chose to build it on my own. As the video shows, the results couldn't be more amazing!


The main piece is the cloth which is of excellent quality. One concern I hear very often is about the wrinkles. I got it folded (you have the choice to have it rolled for a few extra bucks) which causes a lot of wrinkles. That's not a problem though as by just stretching and stapling it on the frame -- without really doing anything special -- all wrinkles disappear.

One difference from most other examples I've seen is the fact that I utilized the entire cloth as-is to make my screen without leaving a buffer, cutting pieces or wrapping around the frame. I put staples in the very edge of the cloth to maximize the viewable area and it worked perfectly. I then covered the staples and surrounded the edges with black artist tape. I know Carl's Place recommends felt tape but I had a really hard time finding that locally and decided to go with the artist tape.

It turned out that the artist tape was not a good choice. It started falling after a year or so and I had to replace it with the black felt tape. In this video I demonstrate how easy it was to remove the old tape and put the new one -- which BTW looks much more polished and professional.

I'm very happy with the result. Not only the images are eye-popping -- so much better than projecting on the wall -- but also my home theater room looks so much nicer and elegant (my wife loved it).

References:
  • Figure out your screen size, projection range, dimensions, lighting conditions on Projector Central 
  • Other screen options and instructions from Carl’s place




21 comments:

  1. Awesome, thanks...Actually buying a W1070 and was already thinking of DIY a nice fixed 120-126 screen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thinking about install home theater at home but i think so environment also necessary for such a great equipments. I am wonder with your article. The Digital Aerial Installations services

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think I could use as a white background for making you tube videos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I are looking into doing the same project. My mother-in-law goes to goodwill all the time and gives us these really big picture frames with glass.I was wondering that since the glass is a very flat surface with no imperfections. Can't I just paint over that with silver screen paint?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh guys you have really done the nice job, Thanks for the splendid post……
    Audio Video Experts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Easy steps to build a DIY Home Theater Projector Screen ... screenmaterial.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must appreciate the way you have expressed your thoughts through your blog!

    Home Theaters

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am very happy to read this article.. thanks for giving us nice info. fantastic walk-through. i appreciate this post.

    Home Theatre

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm informative post, what actually I was looking for! best tv remote

    ReplyDelete
  10. if my screen size is 128, how short (shorter) should my pine boards be?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The surround sound system that ties into your consumer electronics that you have, or may need to have installed, you need a world class expert to show you the proven strategies that will eliminate the headaches and heart aches most homeowners go through.
    home movie theater

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can buy a real motorized screen online from a
    name brand company for under $50
    So, why mess with building a screen?
    It's economically unsound in today's home theater market.
    You did do a good job though.
    Very informative too.
    Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello my friend! I would like to tell you that this write-up is awesome, great written and include almost all important info. I recently came to know about http://machinesuae.com/, their Home Theater Projector are very effective.
    Home Theater Projector

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of the most incredible blogs Ive read in a very long time. The amount of information in here is stunning, like you practically wrote the book on the subject. Your blog is great for anyone who wants to understand this subject more. Great stuff; please keep it up!
    lydsystemer

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing info. Keep up the good work...We hope you will visit our blog often as we discuss topics of interest to you
    Children's STEM shows Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great article, this is such an interesting and informative article.
    Screen Installation Service

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post...Thanks for providing easy steps to build a DIY home theater projector screen, it will helpful for people who want to know about this. Keep sharing like this post with us!
    Best home theater projector

    ReplyDelete
  18. really nice idea Renato for home theater, I am gadget lover and blogger, I will suggest some best home theater ideas and their buying guides, visit my site for more information, you will really find it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do I make money from playing games and earning
    These are the 슈어 맨 three most 출장마사지 popular หาเงินออนไลน์ forms of gambling, and are explained in 출장샵 a worrione very concise and concise manner. The most common forms of gambling are:

    ReplyDelete